Pages

Friday, February 19, 2021

Social Studies - Spirituals/slaves.

Use of Spirituals

The use of spirituals was that it gave them hope. Music was a way for slaves to express their feelings whether it was sorrow, joy, inspiration or hope. Songs were passed down from generation throughout the time of slavery. These songs were controlled by African and religious tradition.

Harriet Tubman

Harriet Tubman was a famous slave helper and used songs to message slaves and help African slaves escape the border, they would go trough the rivers to remove the scent because the dogs could track them down. Thousands of people got saved and became free because of one lady, there were several slave helpers but the most of popular was Harriet Tubman because of all of the people that she helped. They travelled from the south to the north of America, which was the safe part of America because they could be free. The Africa slave swore not to return. Harriet Tubman did this over and over again helping many more people.

Spiritual Message (Highlights)

One of the songs that they would sing was "Steal Away"

Chorus: steal away, steal away!

Steal away to Jesus? 
Steal away, steal away home!
I ain't got long to stay here!
My Lord calls me!
He calls me from the thunder!
The trumpet sound it in my soul!
I ain't got long to stay here! 

My lord calls me!
He calls me by the lighting!
The trumpet sound it in my soul!
I ain't got long to stay here!








I hope you enjoyed my blog please leave a positive,helpful and thoughtful comment down below :).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about